Imogen's Imagination Fascinator Workshop

On Sunday, I went to a fascinator workshop held by the lovely Sophie from Imogen's Imagination. The workshop was a tester (or guinea pig workshop) for a few others that she has in the pipeline for the future. Four of us went over to Imogen Towers to take part in a very fun and informative workshop.

We were faced with a table full of goodies including straw fascinator bases, feathers, veiling, buttons, ribbons, combs, clips and headbands. 



Sophie first told us to choose a base and then search through all of the supplies and pull out anything that caught our eyes. My chosen colour scheme turned out to be purples on a natural coloured straw base.

I went with purples because I found a piece of dark purple velvet ribbon that I knew I wanted to use and then the rest of the supplies were chosen to match it.

I also picked out a metal comb as a way of fastening the finished fascinator onto my head, as I prefer combs to clips or headbands. I find them easier to use and more secure than clips and they give more freedom than a headband.

All of my supplies laid out on the table. I forgot to take the picture before I started, so this is after I attached my first piece of veiling.

Sophie told us to start with the veiling and gave us a few different examples of how we could use it to create different effects. I started with a small puff of veiling at the top of my base (as seen in the above photo) and then played around a little with a few other pieces as I wasn't sure what else I wanted. I settled on a tube of veiling with a few thin feathers in the middle, inspired by sinamay lily shaped fascinators that I have seen before.

After veiling came feathers and other embellishments. My feathers started with a few thin curled feathers inside the veiling 'lily' and then I played around with some curled goose feathers until I achieved a look I liked. The goose feathers were arranged in a fan shape around one side of the fascinator base.
Once I had secured my feathers, I finally got around to creating a flat bow out of the velvet ribbon. This covered up the space where the ends of the feathers and veiling met and added a more central focus point to my fascinator.



The last thing to do was to sew the comb onto the underside of the base and my fascinator was finished!


I would highly recommend a workshop with Sophie and if you are in or around Sheffield in May, she is holding a Mini Top Hat Decorating Session on the 24th May for The Hat Stand. Get there if you get chance!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complete Cosplay

Captain America Cosplay Underskirt

Dyed Shoes